Design Research | UX & UI Product Design
focus on a11y & accessible products
Acting as a product owner advocate, product designer, user researcher, and content strategist I uncover user needs through backgrounds in retail, mobile & computer tech, automotive, construction, and education. I use design thinking and empathy to create a11y accessible IA, HCI, and UI.
PROFICIENT: Design thinking, research, product design, persona mapping, wireframes, graphic design, Adobe CS (Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator), WYSIWYG website creation and content strategy
Community involvement: Attendee of Michigan Automotive & Mobility UX, Ladies that UX, Detroit User Experience, Michigan UXPA, World IA Day, Ignite UX Michigan, A2 Experience Design with Agile & Lean UX, Detroit Women in Tech, and Meetup events focusing on A11y accessibility and inclusiveness.
Workshops & classes: including Menlo High-Tech Anthropology UX training -- highlighting persona mapping and user design, Grand Circus Java coding workshop, and front-end code with HTML5 / CSS3 and Wordpress courses through Ed2Go online programs.
Conference volunteer/attendee: of Agile and Beyond, Digital Summit Series (web and digital marketing), AIGA Design Decipher (design and education summit), Maker Works (maker space events), Intermitten (Detroit tech and inclusiveness), and the 2018 HBA Builders Design Challenge.
Mentorship: to the UX community via LinkedIn and Medium.com posts about leadership, UX, UI, design, and accessibility. Use Meetaway.com video chat to counsel new designers. Work with design colleagues from various disciplines through my professional experiences in product and graphic design.
UX design researcher & visual UX/UI designer (contract/freelance), Rumi's Passion Bakery
Plymouth, MI. Oct. 2018-Present
Rumi's Passion Bakery is a family-owned artisan gluten-free bakery.
- Compiled UX research of the gluten-free market and competitive analysis of the existing site.
- Created personas and definition of the scope providing hosting options on a small budget.
- Met w/ product owners and observed user needs and user flow to create IA and sitemaps.
- Created UI branding style guide to complement existing logo, color, and fonts.
- Acted as the content strategist to provide co-edited copy and Photoshop image manipulation.
Exhibit Technician & Graphic Designer, Ann Arbor Hands on Museum
Ann Arbor, MI. Jan. 2015-April 2018
The Ann Arbor Hands on Museum is a 501(c)(3) organization with more than 250 interactive exhibits.
- Conceptualized, developed and constructed scientific exhibits and user graphic labels and media.
- Mentored two interns and managed the department Trello board to organize the preventive maintenance and enhancement needs for more than 250 science-based exhibits.
- Designed an organizational system that mitigated the risk of a dangerous shop environment; also resulting in a decrease of exhibit repair time from four days to 15 minutes. Happy to share how!
- Developed a searchable vendor resource resulting in increased efficiency and rapport with new and existing vendors of mechanical, electrical, and pneumatic components and fabricated parts.
Specialist, Apple Inc.
Novi, MI. Oct. 2009-Nov. 2014
Apple delivers amazing experiences through the sales and UI of mobile and computer platforms.
- Designed and maintained the UI of an in-house blog and newsletter to enable co-workers to share creative pursuits and events.
- Assisted with sales operations to support a daily average of 1,200-1,500 visitors via consumer in-store group workshops and one-on-one trainings.
- Contributed to new store opening ensuring brand consistency; planned and managed logistics, visuals, display layout, cord management and product placements.
Adjunct Graphic Design Professor, Adrian College
Adrian, MI. Aug. 2011-April 2013
Adrian College is a private liberal arts college that offers bachelor degrees in 40 academic majors.
- Developed a series of web blogs with navigable UI as a new form of communication empowering students to engage with weekly materials and design vernacular in and beyond the classroom.
- Solely revitalized the graphic design curriculum for design thinking through the development of unique programming. Courses developed and taught include:
- Digital Imaging (Photoshop)
- Graphic Design I (Illustrator / InDesign)
- Graphic Design II (Illustrator / InDesign)
Graphic Designer, Campus Life Department, Eastern Michigan University
Ypsilanti, MI. June 2006-May 2009
The Campus Life Department offers student-centered learning, development and involvement activities for students, staff and members of the broader campus community.
- Under tight project deadlines, utilized Adobe CS Suite to create print and web projects including posters, flyers, brochures, books, calendars and tri-folds.
- Improved workflow by creating an organizational system for filing work orders resulting in a 30% decrease in turnaround times.
- Gathered or took photographs for print events and web advertising.
- Worked with surrounding departments to insure proper copy and communicate brand identity.
- Executed design jobs and coordinated yearly training for new designers..
EducationMFA, Eastern Michigan University, Ypsilanti, MI. Graphic Design (Magna Cum Laude)
BFA, The University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI. Industrial Design & Metalsmithing (Cum Laude)
- The University of Michigan Alumni Association lifetime member
- National Professional Association for Design (AIGA) affiliate
- Former President of the Masters of Art & Design Association at Eastern Michigan University (EMU MADA)
- Former Co-President of the The University of Michigan Industrial Design Society of America (IDSA)