Design Research | UX & UI Product Design
focus on a11y & accessible products
I uncover product design opportunities through former backgrounds in automotive, mobile and computer technology, construction, retail, and education. This diversity allows for enhanced discovery and alignment using design thinking and empathy in my research towards proper HCI, UI and visual design.
PROFICIENT: Adobe CS (Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator), graphic design, design thinking, research, HTML5, collaboration, WYSIWYG website creation, industrial design, and materials and processes
FAMILIAR: CSS3, WordPress, personas, card sorting, competitive analysis, concept models, wireframes, Agile methods, affinity diagrams, high/low fidelity prototypes, surveys, task and user flows, and usability testing
UX design researcher & visual UX/UI designer (freelance), Rumi's Passion Bakery
Plymouth, MI. Oct. 2018-Present
Rumi's Passion Bakery is a family-owned artisan gluten-free bakery.
- Collaborated with product owners to identify project scope and style guides, and compiled accurate UX research of the gluten-free market using competitive analysis from the existing site’s user flow
- Participated in product owner and customer interviews to create accurate user personas
- Responsible for the content strategy, initial copyrighting, Photoshop image manipulation, and hosting set-up of www.rumispassion.com, which allowed product owners to focus on their business’ needs
- Designed a simple, clean, and easy-to-navigate user interface, with WordPress, which addressed common FAQs and resulted in a 20% boost in sales and a significant reduction of in-store phone calls
- Created a new pricing menu, FAQ page, and directions page, all of which increased brand awareness and store sales leading to a projected ROI in less than six months
Exhibit Technician & Graphic Designer, Ann Arbor Hands-On Museum
Ann Arbor, MI. Jan. 2015-May 2018
The Ann Arbor Hands on Museum is a 501(c)(3) organization with more than 250 interactive exhibits.
- Collaborated with the exhibit director to develop style guidelines, user instructions, and new graphics to restore the look and feel of older science exhibits, which resulted in increased engagement time
- Worked with the in-house exhibit designer and 3rd party vendors to manufacture part drawings and produce printed graphics that were built and installed with a colleague
- Mentored; a museum studies intern, and a graphic design intern; giving them opportunities to 5s tools and equipment, fix exhibits, and design exhibit labels based on our style guidelines
- Managed the department Trello board using Scrum techniques to increase accountability, enhance the design team’s communication, and remove oversight on preventative exhibit maintenance
- Decreased lead times of consumable repairs on over 250 science-based exhibits by 97% after the design of a new logistics system that more-efficiently stored, organized, and located materials and parts, ultimately resulting in reduced inactivity for broken exhibits and a safer shop environment
- Developed a resource document to enhance rapport with new and existing manufacturers and vendors of mechanical, electrical, and pneumatic components, and fabricated parts
Specialist, Apple Inc.
Novi, MI. Oct. 2009-Nov. 2014
Apple delivers amazing experiences through the sales and UI of mobile and computer platforms.
- Designed and maintained the UX for a back-of-house blog and private newsletter, which enabled co-workers to connect and remain informed of other’s creative pursuits, store products, and events
- Assisted in sales and operations to support high NPS ratings within a 100+ person team assisting 200-1,500 daily visitors, and helped consumers learn through group workshops and private training
- Contributed to a new store opening; working alongside more than 50 national and international teammates; over a period of 24 hours; while maintaining Apple’s brand consistency; required rigid logistics and time management skills to transform a blank storefront into a fully functional stocked store following protocols and planograms for cord management, store window displays, and products
Adjunct Graphic Design Professor, Adrian College
Adrian, MI. Aug. 2011-April 2013
Adrian College is a private liberal arts college that offers bachelor degrees in 40 academic majors.
- Improved Developed a series of web blogs with navigable UI to create a new interactive form of communication and engagement amongst design students empowering them to participate with weekly material in and beyond the classroom setting
- Revitalized the graphic design curriculum through the development of unique programming that promoted the design-thinking process in Web Design (Dreamweaver, HTML), Digital Imaging (Photoshop), Graphic Design I (Illustrator /InDesign), and Graphic Design II (Illustrator/InDesign)
Graphic Designer, Campus Life Department, Eastern Michigan University
Ypsilanti, MI. June 2006-May 2009
The Campus Life Department offers student-centered learning, development and involvement activities for students, staff and members of the broader campus community.
- Under tight deadlines, created print and web projects with Adobe CS Suite including; posters, flyers, brochures, books, calendars and tri-folds, for new student orientation, MLK Day, and more
- Improved workflow by creating an organizational system for filing work orders resulting in a 30% decrease in turnaround times for Last Lecture series, and other program on-campus events
- Acquired print/web photos to advertise and promote diversity, inclusivity, and underrepresentation
- Worked with surrounding departments to ensure proper copy and communicate brand identity
- Executed design jobs and coordinated yearly training to help new designers transfer into their roles
CERTIFICATIONS & COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT
Certified completion of 24 PDUs for Menlo’s High-Tech Anthropology ® UX 3-day training course Completion of the Grand Circus weekend Java coding workshop and front-end pre-work training Certified completion of Beginning and Intermediate HTML5 and CSS3 courses through Ed2Go online
Agile and Beyond, Digital Summit Series (web and digital marketing), AIGA Design Decipher (design and education summit), Maker Works (maker space events), Intermitten (Detroit tech and inclusiveness), and the HBA Builders Design Challenge conference volunteer, Medium.com writer, mentor Meetaway.com (video chat), active community involvement posting on LinkedIn and Twitter, and attending Ladies that UX, Michigan UXPA, Detroit Women in Tech and Meetups associated with A11y accessibility/inclusiveness
EducationMFA, Eastern Michigan University, Ypsilanti, MI. Graphic Design (Magna Cum Laude)
BFA, The University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI. Industrial Design & Metalsmithing (Cum Laude)
- The University of Michigan Alumni Association lifetime member
- National Professional Association for Design (AIGA) affiliate
- Former President of the Masters of Art & Design Association at Eastern Michigan University (EMU MADA)
- Former Co-President of the The University of Michigan Industrial Design Society of America (IDSA)